Re: herbs > antibiotics

Rock on, Claire! Could not agree more...we complain and complain in this
country about the rocketing cost of health care, never once stopping to
realize that it is our choice as a country that we spend the ridiculous
amount of money that we do on health care (after all, don't we all want
to have the latest medical technology just down the street in our own
community than have to drive an hour or two to a regional health care
center to get a CT scan or an MRI or the latest heart surgery, etc.),
which by the way with managed care does not seem to be improving any,
and yet when we had the chance to put a system in place nationally that
would guarantee reasonably priced health care for every American, did we
do it? No, we didn't...not enough people cared about this issue to even
bother turning up to vote for legislators who could have made this
happen.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Thu 01/02, < ECPep@aol.com > wrote:From:
[mailto: ECPep@aol.com]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Thu, 2 Jan 2003
22:34:23 ESTSubject: Re: [CHAT] herbs > antibioticsIn a message dated
1/2/03 9:37:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, justme@prairieinet.net
writes:> Donna> Do I need to duck and run... na...No Donna, you
have me for a friend.I cannot keep up with the flow of messages but have
looked in on this thread a bit.Age will influence your thoughts here.
Those of us who remember the era prior to antibiotics or have studied it
will not be as quick to generalize. My grandmother had a tooth pulled,
got a fever and died in four days. Totally healthy woman with a passel
of kids and a bunch of energy. A fact here, a fact there but on balance
you would not elect to condemn antibiotics.On general use of scripts
plus some really useful OTC products. If you need the medication your
viewpoint will differ considerably from a healthy individual reading bad
press on drug companies. Since a national health service is in place in
every country except ours (South Africa caved in), this service
regulates the cost of drugs in it's respective country. Free enterprise,
a very debatable subject in the health field, brings you $100.00 statins
(more or less per month) which keep a lot of people alive. That is one
example of a newer med that is worthy and may have kept my father alive
had it been around when he departed his garden. He may have had some
trouble paying for them and that is the true question, not existence of
statins.It is my background, admittedly, but over more years than I care
to remember statistics show we live longer and more comfortably in the
last decades with drug therapy. There are other factors, hygiene, pure
water, etc. But when the chips are down, scripts are a "good
thing." I do not work for a drug company, never did.If we decide to
love our fellow man and then decide as every small and large country on
this planet has, that health care is a right and not a p

rivilege, Rx will fall into a place we can accept.Claire
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT