Re: herbs > antibiotics

In a message dated 1/2/03 11:54:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kmrsy@earthlink.net writes:

> treatment of animals with antibiotics which then get passed on to humans.
> No one said the invention of antibiotics was a bad idea, we were just
> condemning their abuse in livestock.
> I did not read all of the posts but looked back tonight at some more of
> them.  It is not totally accepted fact that antibiotics in animals destined
> for human food is a bad thing.  I have not read a recent study and usually
> do not read anti books because training in most science fields compels one
> to find facts.  The use in livestock feed as I recall the issue began by
> accident when it was discovered the growth rate was affected rather than
> the health condition.  This increases yield at a lower production cost
> which is the "American Way."  Would that the American Way would extend
> itself to healthcare  :(
> I guess I do not have an opinion either way on this issue.  In time the use
> of AB's will probably just end because Europe now united in one trade group
> is ending the practice and we will need to compete.  This is interesting to
> me because so much really progressive stuff has come to us from Europe
> instead of the other way around  in recent decades.  Musing as to why I
> should guess that there is the thinking of many countries, a sort of
> hybridization of thought which allows for more expanded thinking.  Here
> this issue, one of production, would be much more highly politicized.  We
> do seem to act when a disaster strikes.  The FDA was formed in response to
> disaster.
> I was in London two years ago when restaurants began to display signs on
> windows and notes on menus that genetically altered food was not served.
> Noone is talking about those issues now on restaurant menus. It remains
> that overpopulation continues to be the greater curse, not food issues.
> Food in whatever form has not altered health in any country other than
> where it is not refrigerated albeit, carrying recognized disease or worse
> not available.
> One more small unscientific observation.  My Mom, age 94, lives in a
> nursing home .  The home has 155 residents at least as known 50% past age
> 90.  When my Mom, a nurse,  who would have been employed in such a home in
> her youth,  almost none of the residents would have been past 90.
> If one truly believes consumption of foods from animals is harmful, one can
> limit consumption and many do.  There is not one vegetarian in Mom's home.
>  The idea intrigues me but,  alas, I have never tried it.

There was in the group of reread messages a question on working in the health
professions though worded differently.  Is this good or bad?  I would vote,
always, every single time, with health professionals of all kinds.  Always
room for improvement but we certainly do want them so hope all, nurses
especially, are appreciated more.  I like teachers also!