Re: h. foetidus

> From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>
>  Forgive my ignorance, but are Hellebores ever vegetatively
propagated?
----------

Nothing to forgive, Cathy...we're all ignorant about some aspect of
gardening..that's what these lists are for!

Gene is right...division is the only way - none will root from
cuttings.  And, you can only divide the acaulescent species and
cultivars....caulescent species like H. foetidus don't divide.  So
far, tissue culture has not been very successful either, but that may
change.

Agree also that there are very few nurseries offering divisions, tho'
given some of the prices I've seen asked for seedlings at US
nurseries, I think Graham Birkin's prices for divisions are
comparable...he sells them only via mailorder in the US.  Check out
http://www.hellebores.hort.net/

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade