Re: cimicifuga (aka black snakeroot)

As Marge mentioned, cimicifugas have been transferred to the genus Actaea.  It
can get confusing.  But if you really want to be confused, Black Snakeroot is
only one of the common names used by this plant.  Depending on who you are
talking to, it is called:

Black Cohosh
Black Snakeroot
Carrion Flower
Carrion Plume
Stink Feather
Feather Wands
Fairy Wands
Squaw Root
Swan's Neck
Virginia Snakeroot
Summer Rockets

You'll note a few references to unpleasant smells and bugs in these common
names.  Lore: If the foul odor (C. racemosa only) and the name "Bugbane"
doesn't give you a clue that this plant has been used as an insect repellent,
consider the fact that Cimicifuga is Latin for "bug repellent".