Re: Reverse sexism?!

In a message dated 1/25/03 7:09:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Cersgarden@aol.com writes:

> Georgene, their natl headquarters is in the development I live in.  I
> believe
> their are now known as Garden Clubs of America since they allow female
> membership. The exception is the Des Moines group, which will not change
> their name but have had women presidents.  Now, tell me why a female would
> serve as president when they will not recognize them?  My husband joined
> them
> a few years ago but dropped his membership because it was to social.  Their
> meetings begin with a dinner and he felt the emphasis was food rather than
> gardening.

Dear Ceres,

You are not alone in Des Moines.  My husband belonged for years to the Men's
Garden Club of Albany.  He and his architect partner did so for business
reasons.  No women are allowed.  The newsletter would have read on some
occasions, "our ladies are invited for whatever."   There was a cocktail hour
and dinner followed by some speaker.  Many were older guys and fell asleep
during the talk.  Most of them had no gardens.  They are also affiliated in
some way I never could understand with Garden Clubs of America.  My husband
is not a gardener and attended only when there was some reason to be there as
being invited by a customer.

I went to one Christmas party and the above phrase "our ladies" was repeated
a few times.  I objected, think I probably became less than popular and never
went near another meeting.  Actually I objected somewhat vociferously to that
phrase and it's nuances.  I was referred to as Ms. Steinem after that and was
quite happy with the title.  She is much better looking than I.  They still
meet in Albany and probably still sleep through the speakers.

I have not been too successful with garden clubs.  Plant societies a bit
better but there is another story there.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4