From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com>
Sent: 01/29/03 11:02 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT-Reverse sexism?!

> Janet: Way to go!!!! Even married women have this problem, though...a
few years ago, when I bought my first minivan, one that I had found,
test drove, arranged the financing for, etc. the car dealership filled
out all the paperwork with my husband listed as the primary owner. I was
so mad, but I patiently explained to the salesman that I was signing
nothing until all of the paperwork was done correctly, with my name as
the primary owner, etc. The owner of the dealership came out to the
salesman's office and said this was common practice when a married
couple bought a vehicle and ...I didn't even give him a chance to
finish...just told him that if he wanted to sell this van to this
married couple he would do as I asked without any further excuses...I
think sometimes it is easy to forget that if women do not have credit in
their own name, then if something happens to their husbands (divorce,
death, etc) then the woman is basically a non-entity for some time
afterwards.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein