Steinhardt Conservatory - BBG

Aquatic House and Orchid Collection:

Two pools are the centerpieces of the house. The large, shallow pool
features a variety of tropical and subtropical aquatic plants from
around the world displayed in a naturalistic swamp environment. Its
emphasis is on demonstrating the range of physical adaptations plants
have made to live in, on, and near water. Plants include mangroves,
papyrus, water hyacinth, numerous aroids, and the giant Victoria
water platter.

The deep pool, or paludarium, displays many other plants of aquatic
and wet environments. Treeferns, mosses, orchids, and an epiphyte
tree stand above exposed rockwork, while waterfalls cascade into the
six-foot-deep pool. Plants growing in and around the pool highlight
the diversity of the world's submerged and emergent flora.

Hanging from racks around the perimeter of the Aquatic House are
numerous orchids, staghorn ferns, and other epiphytes.

The Brooklyn Botanic Garden has a long history of cultivating
orchids. Indeed, the Garden's seventh plant accession was a native
ladyslipper, Cypripedium acaule. The main growth and organization of
the orchid collection occurred from the 1950s through the 1970s under
the guidance of Dr. Carl Withner. His teaching, writing, and
expansion of the collection brought the Garden's orchid reputation to
national prominence.

In 1999, BBG received a generous donation of approximately 800
orchids from the private collection of widely respected orchid
growers and hybridizers Dr. Benjamin Berliner and Esther Ann
Berliner. The Berliners' gift consisted of an encyclopedic range of
unusual and important species as well as many high quality hybrids in
a variety of different generamany of them American Orchid Society
award winners.

The BBG orchid collection now consists of some 2200 plants,
distributed through 240 genera and representing about 980 species
from around the world. Our holdings are particularly strong in the
Cattleya and Lycaste alliances, as well as in Oncidium, Encyclia,
Schombergkia, and Dendrobium species. There are over 25 cultivars of
Laelia anceps and more than a dozen each of Laelia purpurata and
Cattleya skinneri.

Our collection is kept within the Steinhardt Conservatory complex in
a climate-controlled greenhouse specifically devoted to orchid
cultivation. As plants bloom, they are rotated into a display case in
the Robert W. Wilson Aquatic House. Also in this house, visitors can
see more than 100 Vanda alliance plants blooming throughout the year,
species orchids naturalized in the displays, and the Garden's giant
specimen of Grammatophyllum speciosum, the species considered to be
the largest orchid in the world.

Over the weekend I visited the Steinhardt Conservatory and took many
photos. I've uploaded them to my briefcase and broke up the
files as follows:

Please visit my photo album at: http://photos.yahoo.com/gardengrl911 and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

NYC Brooklyn, Zone 6b