From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2004 3:09 PM
To: Chat
Subject: [CHAT] This year's black eyes

This year's black eyes were sensational, he said, taking a bow.

At the outset, I erred by adding two chopped serrano chiles to the mix
[along with two jalapenos, neither of which were seeded]. I also added
a large Mexican white onion, chopped; if you're not familiar with these
onions, get  to know them. Sweeter and milder than the yellow
Vadilias]. Plus the usual half pint of homemade salsa and the butt of
the christmas ham.

Fortunately, I also added a bit too much chicken stock, so I let the
stuff cook down [low heat, no lid] for maybe an hour before testing.

Bingo! Even the short one, whose normal idea of "hot" foods are ones
spiced with eastern European paprika, went back for thirds.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10

http://www.hort.net/funds/