From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 7:02 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Plant question

Didn't mean to send that duplicate.  Hit the wrong button - stupid, clumsy
me.

Wanted to ask this august group if anyone knows of a commercial source or
cultivated form of Rhus copallina or Dwarf Sumac.  I have seen it growing on

Constitution Island - the only place in this area I have ever seen it.  By
the
river is a much milder climate than we have just a few miles away.  I have
seen
it growing in Maryland - Bombay Hook, and it is much larger than the one on
C.
I.
Hortus III says it grows to 20 feet, but the one on the island was only
about
4 feet tall and as much wide - a most attractive shrub which had stunning
fall color.  I have been looking in nursery catalogs, and don't see anything
even
closely approximating it.  So wondered if anyone here knows.  Gene?  Marge?

Kitty?

http://www.hort.net/funds/