Re: Plant question

Have a couple of these, and love them - just give them plenty of room to spread!
On Friday, January 23, 2004, at 10:46 PM, Kitty wrote:

How about Rhus aromatica Gro-Low'? MOBOT says:
Easily grown in average, dry to medium wet, well-drained soil in full sun to
part shade. Tolerant of wide range of soils except those that are poorly
....rambling shrub which spreads by root suckers and typically grows only to
1-2' tall but spreads to 8' wide. Too short? Ours are closer to the 2 ft

----- Original Message -----
From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 7:01 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Plant question

Didn't mean to send that duplicate. Hit the wrong button - stupid, clumsy

Wanted to ask this august group if anyone knows of a commercial source or
cultivated form of Rhus copallina or Dwarf Sumac. I have seen it growing
Constitution Island - the only place in this area I have ever seen it. By
river is a much milder climate than we have just a few miles away. I have
it growing in Maryland - Bombay Hook, and it is much larger than the one
on C.
Hortus III says it grows to 20 feet, but the one on the island was only
4 feet tall and as much wide - a most attractive shrub which had stunning
fall color. I have been looking in nursery catalogs, and don't see
anything even
closely approximating it. So wondered if anyone here knows. Gene?