Re: Gene's greenhouse

Hello Kathy,
I need to complete photos of the greenhouse and get them up on my site with a bit of background. It has to be a lot of thing to us and do several jobs for us. Not just a greenhouse in the ordinarily sense of a hoop house with polly.
First of all it is pit style construction. Set back into the side of the hill the first 4 feet of walls. North end is doors and this end is constructed like an old barn with the gooseneck lamp over the door. Inside is a small office on one side and on the other is a bathroom mostly for customers. Overall size is about 24 wide by 48 long. There is a mature maple at one end to shade most of the day during late spring and summer. We run the greenhouse at 40 nights for JoAn has someof her tropicals and tender perennials stored in the house.
Come on down for a cup of hot tea and JoAn will give you a class of one on one.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: <Cornergar@aol.com>
I think I am grateful now that I made the decision to go passive solar only
in my grnhse so I do not have any gas bills. I do have power so in really
extreme weather I can leave lights on for enough additional warmth to keep from
losing everything. It seldom gets below 28F even with several cloudy 0 degree
days in a row. Of course I'm not really "growing" anything...just holding. But it
works for holding the more tender things in 1 gal pots and I can be out there
potting up plugs and bare root in Feb. Don't have running water 'tho which is
sort of a pain but do-able. By the end of Mar I'm bursting at the seams but
by then I can start hardening off which isn't too difficult as the pots have
been subject to a hard life already! Am still anxious to try hypertufa. It's a
New Years resolution! I like this time of year..Anticipation is high ( and the
body doesn't hurt too much yet). kathy