Re: Computer worm brewing

Daryl,
Thanks so much. I'm going to give that a try for my dad's computer
(Win98SE)which I use for internet access at work. It is currently
unprotected. My computer at home (Win98-not SE) with the Norton problem
is another story. When I said I don't really care anymore, there was a
reason, as a few of you may have guessed.

It's not just internet that's a problem. That computer has been giving
me trouble for a long time with little glitches here and there. I get
the cursed blue screen every day, sometimes several times. It's 7 yrs
old and I'm fearful it will just crap out on me one of these days. So I
bit the bullet and bought a new computer, raiding my retirement funds.

It has XP and 15 months of McAfee on it. The McAffee finally kicked in
once I got the broadband modem connected. YES!!!, I have cable
again!!!!Halleluiah!!!! The computer came with a terrific Comcast deal.
Thank goodness, because I not only needed new drivers for some of my
hardware, they needed new software too. One download was 53 MB and
another was 37 MB. Dial-up would never have been able to handle those.

But I've spent too much money to invest more in my dad's computer, so a
free download is a welcome opportunity. However, if AVG is a big
download, I may have to see about downloading it at home, burn to CD and
then uploaded on dad's computer. I'm on dial-up at work.

Thanks again!

Kitty

-- "Daryl" <pulis@mindspring.com> wrote:
Kitty,

Grisoft (AVG) offers a free version for home users. It's compatible with
Windows 98. I used it on my Dad's computer when Norton wouldn't work.
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01#Compatibility

You can download it from http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1  , then disconnect
your computer from the internet. Then uninstall Norton (do that carefully,
since you have to uninstall some components before others. ) reboot, and
install the AVG.
I found that AVG was compatible with the free version of Zone Alarm, too, so
if you want a software firewall, I'd give that a try, too, but check in case
they've changed the program to only comply with 98SE as the Pro version has.

I liked AVG so much better than Norton that I've installed the paid versions
on all of our computers.
wrt to Zone Alarm Pro, I'm happy with the version that has fewer bells and
whistles. I've heard that some folks have had trouble with their
spyware-control version.