Re: invasives

They weren't much of a problem here except in irrigated landscapes until a couple of years ago when we had all of those hurricanes. That seemed to get them started, and I've been pulling them ever since.
Since you had a good bit of rain after your drought, keep an eye out.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] invasives

I never knew.  They may not do it here, less moisture available.

On 1/9/08, Daryl <pulis@mindspring.com> wrote:

They're self-seeding all over my yard and those of many of my clients.
seem to have 'Natchez' as a parent. I have a lovely one that's a cross
between 'Natchez' and an old watermelon red, for example. I'm waiting to
whether that cross is sterile. (Hope so) Most are just crappy seedlings.

They seem to need moisture to germinate well, but once they've got a bit
wood, they're extremely drought tolerant, as is 'Natchez'.