To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Poultry in the Parlor

OMG...I can SO relate.  Last year I raised TWO batches of chicks in my
laundry room.  And now - somebody stop me - I'm ready to do another batch
this spring because I need more egg layers.  I have 8 hens and I have so
many orders for eggs that I can't keep up with it all.  People want farm,
fresh eggs and word got around at my job that I have them.  I can barely
keep enough for myself! (I have become the "Egg Pimp")  The problem with
this is that I have no idea how many hens will hatch, and how many roosters.
I don't NEED anymore roosters.  "Mr. Mojo" is a handful and I have to put
him in his place on a weekly basis.  He doesn't like anybody in there with
his "women" and he'll come running at me.  I bop him on the head and go on
about my business of feeding - but he tries it again a week later.  Goofy
rooster.  It's expensive to drive to a hatchery to buy pullets - and not
sure it's really worth it. One of my young hens is turning into a "brooder"
so I know she'll sit on some eggs if I let her.  To hatch, or not to
hatch...that is the question of the day.