Re: was Dogs now peeping tom scum

  • Subject: Re: was Dogs now peeping tom scum
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:03:31 -0500

When I taught riflery at a YMCA camp, we used to shoot oranges for demonstration. We had the kids feel the orange and note that it was very similar to human flesh (being able to press it with fingers).

We'd splat those oranges all over the place. We never, ever had a kid run for his target before the all-clear was given, and they were very careful to check to make sure that all cartridges had ejected before they moved from prone position. We also never had a kid aim even an empty and double-checked 22 at anyone else, even though we taught kids as young as 8 (and an occasional precocious 7 year old).

My brother had rifles when I was growing up, and I never would have considered playing with a gun. I had more respect for guns than I had for cars, even though I saw my sister forget to check that the car was out of gear when she started it, and sent it through the garage door (and nearly out the other side of the garage) when I was about 5. I wouldn't have considered touching either one. I think my brother took me skeet shooting when I was 8 - not older than 9 because we moved then.

I haven't checked into the cost of hand guns in a long time. What do they run now? I've been contemplating getting one- the neighborhood is changing. My immediate neighbors are fine, but there are a lot of renters down the road, and there is gang sign on the main road about a mile away. I don't think I can handle a big dog anymore. If I get another dog, it will have to be closer to Beagle sized, maybe smaller.