Re: now bulb sale

One other point on selling bulbs here in Fart Wayne IN:
If it is something different *I* have to be there to talk them up for people
to buy them.  No, I am not feeling self-important here, it's just the truth.
Virtually no one knows what Colchicum are, but I have sold several
varieties.  They are laid out on a special table, each one specially
packaged in their blueberry or sometimes strawberry boxes (some colchicum
can be pretty big).  Each variety has an 8x10 glossy photo with some blurb
about it.  Each has their qtr page tag w/photo and all details.  The POP
materials are all there, but people will give them a curious look and walk
on by if I don't start hawking my wares - politely, of course.  I say *I*
because only a few other MGs have developed an interest in them and they
don't work the sales.  Few of our MGs seem to exhibit "salesmanship".  They
stand back and wait for someone to ask a question.  I don't feel I'm pushy,
but I try to draw them in and get them to feel the same excitement I have
for the bulbs.  (One customer got so caught up in it that he bought 4 bulbs
to take back to France with him the next day!)

In the case of lilies at the fall Bulbapalooza, I man the lily table.  I
talk them up, but they are a somewhat harder sell when there are so many
other bulbs available to purchase.  People are more familar with lilies than
Colchicum (amazing, though, how many people have no idea there is any
difference between Lilium and Hemerocallis) though.   When we sell them at
the Home & Garden show, I'm not there, but I've done all the same POP except
the packaging is more compact, photos are 5x7.  They will sell if they are
pink.

I just keep on pluggin'.  But I can't invest $50 in 7 bulbs and sell only 1.

Kitty