Re: Re: Tomatoes, now Jim's distillery

Kathy, this is what I've learned.

When you steam-juice tomatoes, the juice comes out almost clear. It tastes like tomato juice but doesn't look like it owing to the absence of pulp. You can add pulp if you want--doesn't affect the taste one way or the other.

But waste not, want not. The residue from the juicing process--the pulp. skin, and seeds--if run through a food mill of some sort [I use a Squeezo, but there are lots of alternatives] will yield tomato sauce, and it's tomato sauce ready to can or freeze because it doesn't need to be cooked down to get rid of the "water." It will need a dash of salt, however.

It could be the same with other fruits. I don't know but I would imagine running the residue of a blackberry juicing, say, through a Squeezo would yield pure, seedless pulp that only needs a bit of sweetener to be jam--and no prolonged cooking.