Re: Mystery

Around here, it is cougar sightings. They are moving east again, taking advantage of increases in deer population.
cathy carpenter
west central IL, z5b

On Jul 7, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Lynda Young wrote:

Strange - the Memphis news has been awash for a couple of weeks now with sightings of a brown bear in North Mississippi just a stone's throw from the city - totally unheard of in this area. He was seen and photographed (from
a distance) by more than a few people and reported to weigh in between
400-600 lbs. Officials were finally able to tree him yesterday, tranquilize him and prepare to move him to a wildlife refuge. They did a physical exam to make sure that an encounter with a car last week did not injure him, weighed him and carted the 167 lb. beast away. North Ms. can rest easily
again.

Lynda
Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 12:29 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Mystery

A bear was treed in the middle of Peekskill, about ten miles from here, a few weeks ago. There have been other sightings from time to time in the area. But this was in broad daylight, and I was working outside not far away, though down the hill and on the other side of some trees from the
house so there was no direct sight line. Still can't understand it.
Auralie

In a message dated 7/7/2008 1:21:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,