From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of MyTGoldens@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 8:33 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re:[CHAT] Buddleia

In a message dated 6/19/03 11:02:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Kitty <
kmrsy@earthlink.net> writes:

> . . . My first one that limped along and died in its 4th yr - well, I
> called
> the supplier, Bluestone, to ask what I might have been doing wrong, and
> they actually replaced it. I told him no, it wasn't the fault of their
> product, that I just wanted info, but he insisted. The replacement
> didn't do well either.
> There are enough things that do quite well that also attract butterflies
> that I don't need to stew over these.
> Kitty
> I've been meaning to write to the list about Buddleias also. I have about
half a dozen named varieties, including Black Knight, Royal Red, Harlequin,
Blue, and a yellow whose name escapes me. They have all been growing for
about 3 or 4 years. They were doing fabulously well, some growing up to 8
tall, until this year, which I attributed to the bitter winter we had. But
beginning wonder now, since I've heard from some other friends that many of
are just not long-lived. I cut them back in early Spring, and many of them
now have arm sized root stocks. But, this year, all of them have only the
tiniest bits of growth on them to indicate that they are even still alive at
And the funny thing is, the volunteers which sprout up all over the garden
doing much better than their parents, with bushy growth already 2 to 3 feet
high. I'm guessing that these seedlings will not be the fancy varieties, so
question is, are the seedlings doing so much better because they are new
plants, or because they are the sturdy, tough original variety rather than
the fancy
hybrids? I'm thinking of just digging up the old ones and replacing them. I
suppose it's not so terrible to get 3 or 4 good years from a butterfly bush
then have to replace it, although it would be nice if I never had to!

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley  zone 5/6