Re: Hum.......+ slug stuff

Well, I'm recovering from a pretty tough week - out of town meetings;
went out today and moved some more ferns in preparation for making
another bed in my woodland garden; planted them outside the pale and
weeded the drive for the umpteenth time, picking up a huge load
(again) of twigs and leaves that have rained down from the trees in
the storms we've had.

Auralie, slugs are having a ball this spring with all the damp.  I
have read several discussions about coffee and it appears that it's a
myth.  The original experiment used a concentrated form which would
be virtually impossible for the home gardener to replicate and, as I
recall, it was only effective at a certain growth stage.  From this
came the word that coffee killed slugs and that has been spread
around the net....'fraid it ain't so.

I got my hands on some Sluggo and it seems to do the trick tho' I've
had to re-apply a lot because we've had so much rain.  Understand
that there are at least 3 other brand names with the same ingredients
(iron phosphate; benign to all but slugs and snails; degrades into a
plant food substance) - Escar-Go Slug & Snail Control, Walmart's Slug
and Snail Bait by Garden Safe and another I think was called
something like WorryFree (but won't swear to that as I can't seem to
locate the post that mentioned it).   I don't find Sluggo all that
inexpensive, but maybe the one Walmart sells would be more reasonable
for a large area.  I just put it around Tricyrtis and a few other
plants that seem to be slug magnets this year.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
> In a message dated 06/21/2003 10:55:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> justme@prairieinet.net writes:
> > So what is everyone doing this weekend.... figuring since it is
> > quiet, everyone must be having great weather and busy in the
> > or something...
> Slugs are killing me this year.  Lots of seedlings come up and are
eaten off
> before they get past the two-leaf stage.  Ones I started indoors
and set
> outside to harden off were eaten overnight.  I've never seen such a
plague of slugs
> in all my many years of gardening.  I won't put out slug bait
because of all
> the birds and animals around here.  I usually go around early in
the morning
> with a salt shaker and get all those on the paving stones and
driveway -
> usually this keeps things pretty well under control, but not this
year.  I have been
> told by a local gardener that coffee grounds used as a mulch will
> slugs.  Does anyone have information on this?  How do I use them?
We don't drink
> coffee, so would just the ground coffee right out of the can be
> of must it be brewed?  Can you just pour coffee around plants?
I'll try just