weekend gardening

Well, I'm down to only 4 plants left to be planted (okay, not counting the
tomatoes and peppers I started that still need to go out - usually do them
Memorial Day but didn't get to them).  Hooray!  Finally finished the last
third of my new large bed (maybe 12' x 35' or so) at least with initial
plantings (several asclepias, multiples of several different varieties of
phlox, some asters - it's got bird/butterfly plantings plus 3 young
sapphireberries) and papered and mulched the rest, except for a small 2x4
area because I ran out of paper.  Finished edging it - I am pretty excited
it's very close to done (for this year). It's sort of a trapezoid shape,
created because that area of the property is very sloped and I didn't want
DH mowing it.

Anybody else have a gumi (also spelled goumi)?  Mine is now about 8 years
old, and put out a big crop of berries this year.  Since I was working by
it, I sampled a lot of them - yum!  They look like tiny, slightly elongated
red cherries, maybe 1/2 inch long and half that wide, and when ripe are
slightly soft.  Taste somewhere between cherry and strawberry.  Anyway, the
birds are going to have some competition for them from here on out now that
I know how good they are!

The cicadas are winding down, but I saw the first Japanese beetles
yesterday.  Sigh.  Also did not realize how destructive the cicadas can be
to twigs, but I guess it's mostly temporary setback for the trees.

Libby
Maryland zone 6