Re: moving buxus

Well, Kitty, it's not optimum time to move evergreens on account of
the heat, but you're getting lots of rain, so that should help.

Box can be pruned back quite hard and will re-grow, but I would not
prune back beyond leaves - often the interior of box becomes bare
stems with all the foliage on the outside.  I have found that
sometimes those bare stems will sprout new leaves and sometimes they
just die off, so just cut back to a good set of leaves.

My totally unscientific theory with box, azaleas, holly and yew is
that if you whack the entire plant back to bare wood, it will often
regrow nicely, but if you just whack back a few stems, leaving most
of the foliage, those stems often just die back instead of
re-sprouting since there's so much foliage left the plant doesn't
want to put out the energy to sprout from one or two bare stems.

If you lost a bunch of roots, it probably would not hurt to take a
few inches off the shrub all around - just keep the shape you want as
you prune.  You could wait a bit and see if you're getting any
wilting of leaves on the plant - if not, you could do nothing; if you
see leaves wilting in spite of all the water you've had and the
protection from sun, then do some pruning.

You might get some die back if it can't support all the foliage, but
since box have fairly shallow, fibrous root systems, they are
actually easy to move plants, so I doubt that you'll lose it in the
end.

Around here, you can see guys sitting by the side of the road with
open trucks full of boxwoods - old, old plants (some are huge) that
have obviously been dug from some old homestead or other that's been
sold for development or something...they dig and B&B and hawk them by
the side of the road at pretty cheap prices.  I've bought box from
these types, myself, over the years.  Plants have grown away fine
when replanted and they were never root pruned nor prepped before
they were dug.  I never pruned them back nor saw any signs that the
sellers had done this.

So, basically, I wouldn't worry too much.  Box are subject to several
diseases, but otherwise they are pretty tough plants.

And, to answer your question...yes, a pruned boxwood, if left to its
own devices, will eventually regrow in natural form...will take a few
 years as they aren't fast growers, but they will.

"This is an unmaimed box"
I hope you haven't been maiming your box - that would be cruelty to
plants and I'd have to report you to the plant police:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> OK, I know I should have asked you folks first, but it's already
done so now
> you can tell me what to expect and how to correct it.
>
> I had a largish Boxwood 'Green Mountain' next to my favorite
Japanese Maple
> (Orangeola) and noticed they were about the same size now.  It
seemed like
> the maple wasn't filling out evenly in the direction of the box as
if the
> box was inhibitting its growth.  So I decided to move the box over
a few
> feet.  This is an unmaimed box, with a naturally graceful pyramidal
shape
> about 4 feet high by about 3 feet wide.
>
> If I did this to a deciduous shrub I would cut it back by 1/3 to
1/2, but I
> don't want to destroy the shape of the box.  And of course I did
severe
> damage digging it out, but it did seem to have a fairly shallow
root system
> so, maybe not so bad.
>
> So, how do you think it will do?  It's in a shady spot so it won't
suffer
> hot sun right away adding insult to injury.  But will it survive?
Should I