Re: Sandy soil

I'll extend my welcome, also, Dakota.  I garden in totally different
conditions than you've got, so won't be a lot of practical help in
the plant selection dept.

Here's a link to a page that lists links to gardening sites for
several of the southwestern states - you haven't said which one
you're in, so it's hard to pinpoint for you:-)  You should be able to
find some suggestions for plants that will do well in your climate
and soil among these links.

As for palm trees - ya' got me there.  Are you anywhere near Palm
Springs?  Is your climate similar?  If so, the kind of palms grown
there ought to work for you.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi