Re: Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and ??

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Donna's corner was: Plumeria-Jim picture-links- and ??
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 03:41:22 -0400

Well, Donna, FWIW, seems to me you've got a lot going on in that
corner.  It either needs a unifying something at ground level -
groundcover if you don't want to walk there at all or paving with a
bench as a spot to sit at the end of the garden tour and enjoy what
is already planted there.

I also think you need only a single ornament focal point - relocate
one of your tall ornaments to another area, as right now they are
fighting with each other for first place in the eyeball, particularly
in your first picture - in the second, it appears there is some
distance between them that is not evident in the first photo.  Even
so, they are too close in height to work well together IMO.

I really don't think you want just one 'special' smaller plant - it
would get lost.  If you want a perennial, it needs to be something
really bold or you'd need to put in a large group of the same plant -
filling that space - to make an impact and unify the entire planting.

Looks like the gold leaf spirea in the lower left of the photos???
If so, what about Hosta 'Sum and Substance'...it would play off the
gold foliage of the spirea.   What size is this space?  It is so hard
to tell scale from pix!

I think where you are, hostas area supposed to want sun, at least
that's what I've read....so seems like it might work.  If not that,
then something with equally bold foliage...and I keep thinking large
mound shape rather than vertical as you have several clumps of tall
plants already - can't tell who what is from the photos.

It does look like there is a bit of space along the fence - what is
planted at the fence now?  Is there room for another tall plant at
the fence line or are those shrubs that are going to grow and fill in

More questions than actual help from me, I fear...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :