RE: Soil pH

To be perfectly honest, I had my soil tested once when I moved in and
haven't done it since. It's acid. Period. The entire coast of SC is acid.
Really not a big deal unless you want really pink hydrangeas or tomatoes.
My father (lives in Charleston, SC) followed the advice of his mother and
limed his tomato plants this year and last. This year they are above his
head and he's almost 6 feet. He's very excited. Anyway, the point of that
blather was that our soil is severely acid, which is why all the Gardenias,
Camellias, and Azaleas do so well here. I AM going to lime my Buttons and
Bows hydrangeas so they will hopefully be pink and white like they are
supposed to be. Even our mophead hydrangeas turn a most satisfying shade of
deep purple when planted in clay. The first time I saw that happen I was
thrilled. Very pretty.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC