Re: Soil pH

I tend to forget about things like buffering capacity when the issues
don't come up for several years. Thanks for mentioning it Jim. Our soil
here has plenty of clay and I do my best to incorporate organic matter,
so my buffering capacity is probably pretty good. Consequently, my 9 or
10 pH tap water doesn't pose a great problem. But I think my plants much
prefer something more acidic. From "Something to Grow on" (Cornell):

Buffering capacity is the ability to withstand rapid pH fluctuation. The
greater the buffering capacity, the greater the quantity of acid or base
which must be incorporated with a material to alter the pH.

 Soil types having low buffering capacities include sandy soils containing little clay or organic matter.
 Soils exhibiting a high buffering capacity are usually composed of large quantities of mineral clay and organic matter.
neIN, Zone5