Re: overwhelmed was: ants

> From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
> Sounds like a great find, Marge.  Got plans for those other 5
> Keep it wild... or?
Jim, plan to fence out the millions of deer who live in the adjacent
national park and leave most of it as woodland....seems to be overrun
with Japanese stilt grass, so will fight that but have not seen more
than a couple garlic mustards and not as many of the other
troublesome weedy things I have - guess the deer have eaten it all.
Will develop gardens around the house and pond first and then work my
way outwards if I live long enough:-)

Marge -
I have geothermal. How can I help?
Cathy, west central IL, z5b
Cathy, what kind of system do you have?  I understand there are
several ways to do this.  How do you like it?  What kind of back up
heat do you have and do you find it actually reduces heating bills?
How is the heat delivered?  Forced air, hot water, radiant floor???
Thanks for any input on this one.

Theresa - wish you still lived in MD - I'd take you up on the plant
moving offer....:-)

ref. green roofs:
Jim, thanks for the link.  I have been reading about green roofs but
had not seen that particular article.  At present, they are more cost
effective for large commercial buildings with huge flat roof areas -
pretty expensive for residential and not suitable, really for steep
roof areas.  Have thought I might get around to trying it on a garden
shed or something smallish I could deal with - have read a couple of
articles about this and it seems like it is doable on a really small
scale DIY.

Andrea...delighted you finally met Tom - he is a sweetie and he does
spend $$ on plants.  He's been my major guilt trip this season as I
never did get around to doing his perennials for him - hope you were
able to steer him in the right direction!

James, Judys son/technical helper said "I have heard good things
aboout evacuated solar tubes."

So have I - they are more expensive than flat, but I shall look into

Went out to the property Tuesday; on the way out, I stopped to put
the cable back up across the drive - got back in car and car died.
Nice - out in the middle of nowhere.  Lousy cell phone reception due
to so much government park land on which they don't allow cell
towers.  Friend of a friend who lives nearby came out with jumper
cables to find that my alternator belt had
broken...whoopee....finally, about 4 hours later, tow truck arrived
and son & DIL arrived to cart us home- about 50 miles...got home
around 10:30 pretty tired & hungry.  Quite an adventure....oh, and
did I mention it started to rain about when the car died?  Otherwise,
property looked fine:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Shadyside Garden Designs