Re: critters > fence ideas

I think Pyracantha are borderline hardy, just checked MOBOT and P. coccinea is Zone6. We are zone 5, but sometimes 6es can make it here. They also show a P angustifolia good to Zone 5, but kinda short and requires full sun to part shade. The supposedly hardy ones we installed at the MG gardens looked good for a couple of years, but now one is gone - probably the hard winter we just had.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2007 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT]critters > fence ideas

Very nice Kitty- attractive and effective! Years ago I planted pyracantha to keep the neighborhood cats away from my bird feeders. We quite effective actually. They do have the nastiest of thorns. Don't know if they grow in your area though.

Theresa

Kitty wrote:
The orange requires full sun. The mahonia, M bealei, is full sun to light shade. The Eleutherococcus I mentioned has thorns and takes part to full shade and I have an opportunity for several so I might create a hedge in front of the the privacy fence. If you're not familiar with it:
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=A950

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Maria" <marolsh@verizon.net>