Re: Settling in

Theresa-you are correct-many of our nurseries and restaurants use misting systems in the summer and even though the humidity is somewhere up around 90% it does help cool you off. Of course, you stay wet the whole time but it's better than keeling over.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G." <macycat3@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Settling in

My misting system is to cool me (although the plants on the back porch
certainly enjoy it also.
What you say makes sense regarding humidity.  That is also why I'd never
heard of a "swamp cooler" until I moved out west.
But- I still think the mister would feel some cooler even with humidity-
as you'd have cool mist landing on you...

Theresa

David Franzman wrote:
Hi Theresa
Welcome back.  Question:  Is the misting system to cool you or your
plants?
Chris misting to cool works beautifully in the arid west but not in
the humid east. Your air is already saturated so that misting doesn't bring the relief that it does here. When the mist hits our skin its the evaporation that causes us to feel cooler...like sweating. You don't have the dry air that allows for quick evaporation. That's why folks in the east have to rely
on air conditioning to beat the heat.
DF