Re: smoke tree

Naw, Tigerliley, I ain't everywhere:-)

I think a smoke tree would be nice if you've got good sun....they do
not flower well in shade.  I grow one of the purple-leaf forms,
Cotinus coggeria 'Royal Purple',
which would be awesome against a yellow house.  I have not pruned
mine, so it is now maybe 15 feet tall after about 13 years (was maybe
4' tall when I bought it), but you can prune them back quite hard if
you start when they are young and keep it up - you lose the smoke
that way tho' as they bloom on old wood.  I find the form interesting
in winter and, of course, with the purple leaves, the foliage
provides interest all season.

Thing about crabapples is that you get maybe a week of flowers, if
you are lucky, and that's it unless it's one that makes apples - when
you get lots of rotting apples around the tree in the fall.  They are
pretty when they bloom.  I have a weeping form; it was on the
property when we built here, buried in the woods.  Lord only knows
how old it is or what it is.  I enjoy the blooms for their very brief
season (if it turns hot fast; they are gone even quicker) and I enjoy
the form and the deer used to enjoy the apples...but for all season
interest, I'd go with a purple Cotinus, myself.

Redbud is a forest understory tree and may not do that well up
against a house in the sun.

Another purple foliage small tree is the purple leaf sand cherry,
Prunus x cistena; it has pink single flowers in early spring.  Mine
is up against the house, actually getting more shade than it would
like, and after 10 years or so it's maybe 10 feet tall.  They are not
supposed to be long-lived plants, but it's very attractive in my
view...of course, I love anything with purple foliage:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Tigerliley2@wmconnect.com
>
> the landscaper suggested it as my house is yellow.....thought the
color would
> be a nice contrast.....I live in Missouri zone 5b.....I really had
thought I
> would like a small flowering tree which would have interest in
spring ,
> summer, and fall.... some how a small flowering crabapple keeps
coming into
> my mind.....then there is redbud...I am really kind of
conflicted.....I have