Re: Forsythia/Cats and Beans

In a message dated 03/19/2004 8:52:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
holmesbm@usit.net writes:

> I thought the time to prune them was when they are dormant.  Go into the
> bush and trim out the oldest, thickest branches.

Not spring-blooming  shrubs.  If you prune them when they are dormant you
lose that year's blooms because the buds were set in the fall. Think about the
branches you bring in to force into bloom.  The rule is that any spring-blooming
shrub  - this includes old fashioned once-blooming roses - shouldbe pruned
after it has bloomed.  Then you trim out the oldest, thickest branches.
Auralie