From: Richard T. Apking [mailto: richa@midlands.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:41:48 -0800
Subject: Re: [CHAT] NOW mini-mansions and disgust

Melody, I'm with you. Winslow is a town of 140 at the last census. We
do<br>have municipal water, I kinda pushed having water you could see
through, and<br>not have to chew. No grocery store, just an elevator and
a bar and a<br>postoffice. And we are scheduled to get a levee around
town so we don't<br>have to fill sandbags every time the Elkhorn river
decides to flood.<br>----- Original Message ----- <br>From: "Melody"
<mhobertm@excite.com><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday,
March 23, 2004 10:31 PM<br>Subject: RE: [CHAT] NOW mini-mansions and
town...developers don't want<br>> anything to do with us...we don't have
anything to offer, especially no<br>> big tracts of land for
developement, we don't have municipal water,<br>> heck, we don't even
have a grocery store. The few houses that do get<br>> built every few
years are reasonably sized with good sized lots that<br>> give enough
room for kids/dogs/gardens and are usually built by people<br>> whose
family's have lived in this town for generations anyway. Thank<br>>
goodness for small favors! Can't stand the constant development in
the<br>> nearest towns...college community that has big aspirations to
5/4)<br>><br>> "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
< tchessie@comcast.net > wrote:<br>> From: Tchessie [mailto:
tchessie@comcast.net]<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date: Tue, 23
Mar 2004 19:51:20 -0800<br>> Subject: RE: [CHAT] NOW mini-mansions and
disgust<br>><br>> How sad it is that we all seem to have the same story.
I wonder how<br>> many<br>years until we really have "paved paradise and
put up a parking<br>> lot"?<br>They are experiencing housing and
population growth here to<br>> equate to one<br>new elementary school
classroom per week here. An<br>> additional 8000 kids will<br>live here
before the end of the school<br>> ye

ar. And yes, the houses are huge<br>(and I know only 3-4 people
live<br>> in them)- you could easily spit on your<br>neighbor's dining
room table<br>> from sitting inside your own house. It is<br>physically
painful to see<br>> the habitat for the hawks, coyotes and
rabbits<br>taken over by housing<br>> developments. I see dead raptors
all the time near<br>the highway-<br>> mostly owls and marsh hawks, both
of which soar too close to<br>the<br>> ground to clear the height of the
big SUVs, and certainly the<br>> trucks.<br>Just awful! Except I can't
really move further away from<br>> people, since my<br>job requires a
major medical center- so I just watch<br>> it happening and
feel<br>really sad.- and keep planting everything I can<br>> in my yard
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On<br>Behalf Of Wendy
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject:<br>> Re: [CHAT] WAS Buddleia noxious
surrounded, too. My idea of a suburban<br>> development<br>that provides
what it is supposed to is the kind they<br>> built from the<br>1950s
through the 1970s--cookie cutter houses (their<br>> virtue
was<br>affordability) with nice big yards for dogs, children, and<br>>
gardens, for<br>people who love being outside but aren't farmers or
park<br>> rangers. This<br>is the kind of plat I live in. But the
developments<br>> around it, dating<br>from the 1980s and marching
endlessly forward, are<br>> all mini-mansions or<br>golf-course homes.
The houses get bigger and<br>> bigger and the yards shrink<br>and
shrink. I guess the golf<br>><br>> courses are better for wildlife
than<br>pavement, but with all the<br>> herbicides necessary to maintain
had patches of wetland remaining. Now<br>the

r>> ducks and geese all live in the parks or around retention<br>>
ponds,<br>where, because of their droppings, they are regarded as a<br>>
nuisance. The<br>groundhogs have moved to the parks and the local<br>>
airfield. Yeah, they<br>are a gardener's scourge, but they still have
a<br>> right to a safe place to<br>live. There's been a big stink about
the<br>> coyotes that moved into the<br>field behind a neighboring
suburb's rec<br>> center. Well, where else are<br>they going to
driving<br>> this<br>market--two-income couples who don't have time to
take care of a<br>> yard,<br>with kids who are constantly elsewhere. But
if this is the way<br>> they want<br>to live, what's wrong with living
in the city, instead of<br>> scarfing up<br>more farmland and wildlife
habitat?! <grrrr!> This is<br>> another place<br>where it will take laws
to change the situation,<br>> because it's cheaper<br>for the developers
to build on "vacant" land<br>> than to go into the city<br>and knock
down or repair existing plats.<br>> Ohio is losing farmland
faster<br>than almost any other state in the<br>> country, if I remember
right. We're<br>just behind Connecticut, or we<br>> were, a few years
ago. But nothing's<br>happening in the state<br>> legislature to force
urban renewal. We must be<br>one of the top ten<br>> greediest
destroyed<br>> nearly every natural habitat in this area to build the
are they building<br>> "little" boxes? Around here all the new houses
are<br>"starter mansions"<br>> - usually fake Victorian, and hideous -

had eight miles<br>> of bike trails now has row upon row
have heard that some of<br>> them only have two<br>or three rooms
hort.net -- join the hort.net
hort.net -- join the hort.net
http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal on the

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com