Re: forsythia/ now Wash DC gardens

Mardi, I'll be a little old echo here.  National Arboretum is a good
bet although August is not prime time, but there's a good bit of
interest.  There is also an aquatic garden near it that I have never
been to, but if you're into ponds, that would be a good one.  The new
Botanical Garden looks very interesting from the outside; just went
past it the other day on way to and from Arboretum to hear Fred Case
speak.  Across the street from the bot. garden is another (outdoor)
garden that I found very interesting several years ago when I went
through it.  The....think it's Enid Haupt, but may be wrong...gardens
around the 'castle' on the Mall - the Smithsonian - are also worth a
look.  I've not been to Hillwood, but it is supposed to be
interesting; I think you have to make an appointment to get in there,
or maybe that's to tour the house; not sure.  The Cathedral garden is
small but quite nice; they also have a greenhouse where they sell
plants.  Rock Creek Park has no gardens as far as I know; just
woodland...I'd skip that unless driving through it to get somewhere
else.  Brookside Gardens is well worth a visit as is Greenspring
Garden Park in Virginia - Annandale; not far from DC if you have a
car - it is rather super IMO.

And, of course, Marge's deer proof garden definitely needs to be on
your tour:-)  You can some sweat in my garden in August:-)  Be warned
it is HOT and HUMID in this area in August.  Are you going to have a
car?  How long are you going to be here?  You need to email me off
list so we can chat about this trip.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
> From: mlrasmus@rockwellcollins.com
> Verona, your post reminded me that I wanted to ask this group for
> opinions.  Beatrix did the landscaping at Dumbarton Oaks (I HAD to
buy her
> Plant Book after touring the gardens!)  What other gardens in the
Wash DC