Re: grandkids/societal whiners

> From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
> I have similar misgivings, Marge. But I've always thought it was
> because I grew up in the Great Depression, when the primary
instruction
> was "make do" not "buy now."
----------

Seems like 'Buy Now' is today's mantra for everyone.  You never hear
anything about 'making do' plus everything you buy today has a
built-in obsolescence and is about impossible to get fixed.  If it
could be fixed, there's nobody who knows how to do it or if there is,
it costs more to fix than buy new.  I guess that's what makes the
economy go 'round, but is sure is wasteful of all resources except
landfill.

But, I have to agree with Melody.  If you give kids everything they
want as a matter of course, they have no concept of making do and
feel that they should have what they want by right.  Unless they
inherit vast sums or manage to snag a super job, most of the poor
little dears are going to have a large shock when they start having
to support themselves!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade