Re: raptors was: NOW mini-mansions and disgust

In the dim recesses of what passes for my brain, I seem to recall a
program in DC to introduce falcons to reduce the pigeon population,
but I can't remember what happened to them or it.

I have a couple of red-tailed hawks living somewhere around here.
They are magnificent birds; had one get a starling one winter on the
deck about 5 ' from where we were looking out the window; held it's
wings over it while dining so nobody else could steal it.  Anyway,
yesterday, one of them spent the day on a branch in a tree near the
'back deck' side of the house.  Not a squirrel at the bird feeders
all day; the small birds and current chipmunk had a ball:-)

We also have turkey vultures around here.  Sometimes, when I put the
Xmas turkey carcass out on the slab for the foxes and other critters,
they come to get it. The crows don't like that and create quite a
fuss.  They're huge birds (the turkey vultures), really.  Not
beautiful up close, but majestic soaring in the air.

Also have barred owls; again, magnificent critters.  I love to hear
them calling of a summer's night.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Bonnie Holmes <holmesbm@usit.net>
> We don't have a program but the raptors have moved into the little
> Knoxville downtown where there are actually a handful of taller
> to eat the pigeons...the papers have featured them once or twice.
We live