From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:17 PM
To: Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Okay, serious stuff

I think I'm going to clean up a big part of my garage workbench and
install a seed-starting station. I've got seed beds outdoors for big
stuff, like palms and loquats, but no really good place to start small
seeds--peppers and cacti and such.

The bench has fluorescent shop lights overhead and they can be altered
so they can be lowered and raised as need be.

The top of the bench is 2-inch by 12-inch pine/fir planks. I want to
lay down heating mats or heating coils. What, if anything, should I put
between the mats or coils and the wooden planks?

I think I will put something like cookie sheets, the kind that are
shallow pans, on top of the mats/coils so I can control both irrigation
and humidity. I do not intend to enclose the growing medium [some
variation on peat pots, unless someone has a better idea] in a tent or
one of those little "greenhouses" since the garage never gets below 50

What else do I need to consider? What would you do differently? I've
never started seedlings indoors before [bet it shows, eh?].

What say ye?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W