Re: Mathematics, OT

Hi Chris. Thanks... that would work except the footballs I have in mind are fruits and seed. What I'm looking for is "best guess" since I don't have the scales, beakers, and what-not to do displacement. So here's the problem; maybe you'll see a better way to attack it.

I have two loquat trees that are fruiting [I'm not making this up]. One is a named variety, Bradenton, the other is a seedling I have selected from five seedlings I am also growing. Both trees are fruiting now. I got out my caliper today to do some measuring. A sample of fruit from the Bradenton averaged 1.62 inches long by 1.27 inches diameter. The fruits averaged 3 seeds each [range of 2 to 4], 0.77 inch long by 0.52 inch diameter. A sample of fruit from the seedling averaged 2.14 inches long by 1.10 inches diameter. The fruits [every one] had only one seed each, with an average size of 0.69 inch long by 0.44 inch diameter.

The difference in pit-to-flesh ratio must be significant--or at least substantial. I'd like to be able to say "I have a loquat selection that produces XX percent more edible flesh, per fruit, than Bradenton." Bradenton is one of the standard selection in South Florida.

Incidentally, tree production seems to be about the same, but I haven't measured that yet. I also need to measure brix--the Bradenton seems a tad sweeter than the selection, but I don't know it that's true and, if it is, by how much. At any rate, the selection certainly isn't unsweet but maybe a tad more acidic.

More than you wanted to know?