Re: Hullo

Hummm...if not, we are getting there...

A dystopian society usually exhibits at least ONE of the following traits
from the following non-exhaustive list:

	An apparent Utopian society, free of poverty, disease, conflict, and even
unhappiness. Scratching the surface of the society, however, reveals
exactly the opposite. The exact problem, the way the problem is suppressed,
and the chronology of the problem forms the central conflict of the story.
	Social stratification, where social class is strictly defined and
enforced, and social mobility is non-existent (see caste system).
	A nation-state ruled by an upper class with few democratic ideals
	State propaganda programs and educational systems that coerce most
citizens into worshipping the state and its government, in an attempt to
convince them into thinking that life under the regime is good and just,
e.g. Alan Moore's V for Vendetta
	Strict conformity among citizens and the general assumption that dissent
and individuality are bad
	A state figurehead that people worship fanatically through a vast
personality cult, such as Nineteen Eighty-Four's Big Brother, We's The
Benefactor, or Equilibrium's Father
	A fear or disgust of the world outside the state.
	A common view of traditional life, particularly organized religion, as
primitive and nonsensical
	Alternatively, complete domination by a state religion, e.g Ingsoc in the
Oceania of Nineteen Eighty-Four, the Sisterhood of Metacontrol in FAQ:
Frequently Asked Questions, the Technopriests in The Incal or
fundamentalist Christianity (with elements of reconstructionism) in Escape
from L.A.
	The "memory" of institutions overriding or taking precedence over human
memory
	A penal system that lacks due process laws and often employs
psychological or physical torture, e.g. Alan Moore's V for Vendetta
	A lack of the key essentials of life for many citizens, like food
shortages
	Constant surveillance by government or other agencies, e.g. Alan Moore's
V for Vendetta
	Absence or else total co-option of an educated middle class (i.e.
teachers, journalists, scientists) who might criticize the regime's
leadership
	Militarized police forces and private security forces
	The banishment of the natural world from daily life
	Construction of fictional views of reality that the populace are coerced
into believing
	Corruption, impotence or other usurpation of democratic institutions
	Fictional rivalries between groups that actually operate as a cartel
	Insistence by the forces of the establishment that:
o	It provides the best of all possible worlds
o	All problems are due to the action of its enemies and their dupes
	An overall slow decay of all systems (political, economic, religion,
infrastructure. . .) resulting from people being alienated from nature, the
State, society, family, and themselves. Yesterday was better, tomorrow will
be worse.
	Everything tends towards zero sum gain relationships rather than
non-zero-sum relationships in a slowly decreasing system.

In dystopian societies, the economic system is one that centers around
stability and is structured so that the government or the economic system
is immune to change or disruption. Usually, the industries operate at
maximum efficiency and capacity, and then the excess products or currency
is absorbed in some way by the state. In Nineteen Eighty-Four people are
put on rations and the excess that is produced is absorbed in the "war"
that is always occurring with either Eurasia or Eastasia. In Brave New
World the excess produced is sucked up in the extreme consumerism of the
population, encouraged by the government. In We the One State there is no
currency or exchange whatsoever, either inside or outside the walls of the
society, but everything is provided to the people.