From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Libby Valentine
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 6:33 AM
To: 'gardenchat@hort.net '
Subject: [CHAT] mycorrhizal fungi?

Has anyone tried using a mycorrhizal fungus supplement?  I have one of those
rebate coupons from Gardens Alive, and though I have learned the hard way to
take their catalog claims with a pound of salt (moreso for their subsidiary
Audubon Workshop than for Gardens Alive itself; all you fans can stay calm
<grin>), this product intrigues me.  They call it "root boost", and say it
is a supplement of soil fungi that have symbiotic relationship with most
plants, and planting some soil fungi with the plant gives the plant a big
benefit.  Of course they have different formulas...

What got my attention in the catalog write-up is the thought that in most
developed areas these days the top soil, where most of these beneficial
fungi reside, has been stripped off, so this product really could make a big
difference.

I have a gaggle of perennials and shrubs to plant this year, and I'm
wondering if this would be a good idea.  Some are going in areas where I
have been working on improving the soil, some in new areas that are still
basically clay.  It won't quite be free but even with shipping it'll still
be under $15 and I could probably get it by next week.

Has anyone tried it?  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Libby
Maryland zone 6