RE: Spring Gardening

I haven't had time to post much, nor have I had time to do as much
gardening as I need to, but I've been trying to keep up with everyone!
I had some losses this year.  The butterfly bushes were hit hard and I
lost the yellow 'Honeycomb'  and I think 'Black Night' as well.  The
others are showing new growth mostly from the base.  Should I thin out
the suckers to a few?  Should I tip prune them to encourage side
branching?  I think my nandinas bit the dust.  I'm very disappointed
about their demise and I may replace them.  My aronias look lovely and
the PHYSOCARPUS 'DIABLO'  (NINEBARK) is responding well to being pruned
back in late winter.  I trimmed back my nepetas this year and plan to
try pruning sedum 'Autumn Joy' as well to keep it stocky.  (I know it's
not sedum any more, but I'm old-fashioned).  The
CIMICIFUGA PURPUREA, again, wrong scientific name, is enormous!  I
bought a new cultivar to try.

I posted a few pictures of odds and ends at:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chrispnpt/my_photos (See Spring 2004).
I need to take some shots in the morning light!  I'm always shooting
after work in the twilight!  I'll add more overviews soon.

Chris
Long Island, NY
Zone 7