Re: Palm ID needed

Of all the fern-frond palms that will grow here, the Cuban royal has got to be the grandest.

On May 14, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Theresa wrote:

Yep- that is what I was thinking too (about not surviving). That one is planted at a new house that was built on a postage stamp size yard, and they are asking 900K for the 2000ft house. Amazing! And, now I'm pretty sure their palm tree is going to die this winter! We all liked the look of the palm tree, so hence the pics and trying to figure out if it would survive. Thanks for the info Jim.

Theresa

james singer wrote:

I don't know. I've never seen a royal that small/young that I recall. There are two strains of royals--Florida and Cuban. The Florida royal would have a better [but still not very good] chance of surviving in, say, Berkeley, but I doubt very much it could survive Sacto winters.