Re: Ground squirrel control

Let us know how the fence works. Be sure to put a switch on it so you don't electrocute yourself when you're picking all that stuff.

On May 9, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

My husband ordered a high-powered fence charger, we'll see how it works. I'm sure this is weird. Normal people don't have conversations about how to prevent electrocuted squirrels from catching on fire and burning down
the place.
In the meantime, I put up a smaller chicken-wire barrier around the pea
plants, hoping that will slow down the varmints enough for me to get a
few peas this spring. My garden is absolutely festooned with the stuff -
there are little chicken-wire cylinders around the okra, the eggplant,
and the zucchini; the entire pea bed has a fence now; as it got dark and
my enthusiasm waned I simply laid down a long strip of it over the
lettuces. What's left of the lettuces anyway. This is the second year I
won't get many salads, and I can't remember the last time I got enough
peas; I think it's been about 4 years since I managed to put any in the
freezer. I gotta rethink my strategy.
I feel kinda bad for the squirrels & rabbits (not bad enough to let them
eat my vegetables though), last year was pretty wet and their
populations must have gone way up but this year it is dry dry dry. I
found out why I'm seeing so many more bees - no flowers anywhere else,
and no water, so they are congregating in people's gardens. Bees I can
live with.

Cyndi