Re: gardening

Finally, a really warm sunny day after weeks of cool, drab.  Of course
now it will be how and dry.  We have had no significant rain since the
floods six weeks ago, and things are pretty dry.  I put tomato plants
in the ground today and some pole bean seed around the tomato
towers, and planted some squash seeds, too.  A few weeks ago I
tried the bean seeds that were said to sprout in cold ground - and
sure enough, they have come up.  I'll put in more rows of beans now
at two week intervals.  Of course, now that the weather is nice
enough to work out, the shad flies have appeared.  I guess there
is always something.
  The deer have already had my best hostas even though they were
protected by fish-line and various sprays.  Maddening!
  Finally got the plants from the front bed - remember the oil-tank
fiasco - moved back from the garden, and most look pretty good.
My nice dwarf pieris, however, doesn't look as if it will survive the
move.  Oh well.
  Moving on with the spruce-up efforts in preparation for the summer
visit from the picky daughter-in-law.  We have had a workman here
doing all sorts of odd jobs, one of which was painting the kitchen
window-sill that had been peeling.  Three cats had hidden all day, but
Lottie, the small female tuxedo-cat, is always curious.  No sooner
had the man left than she lept onto the newly-painted sill, realized
that she had made a mistake, and took off across the kitchen,
slipping and sliding on her painty feet - through the dining-room and
onto the new living-room rug.  Fortunately by that time most of the
paint had been transferred to the floor, so the rug didn't get much
of it.  Digging Lottie out from under the couch so I could wash her
feet was the greatest challenge.
In a message dated 05/22/2007 7:15:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,