From:  [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:09:42 +0000
Subject: Re: [CHAT] news of the day

Interesting. Comparatively, how much corn - fresh, new, sustainable
-<br>does it take to make a gallon of ethanol? And what about the guy
that<br>has developed a way to make petroleum from any and all
carbon-based<br>material, like old computer parts? We need people in
office who care at<br>least a little bit about what we're
might want to read it. The<br>> again, you probably all know this
Plants Per Gallon<br>> <br>> SALT LAKE CITY (UPI) -- A New University of
Utah study shows 98 tons of<br>> prehistoric, buried plant material is
needed to produce just one gallon<br>> of gasoline to power our
vehicles. Researcher Jeff Dukes asked, "Can you<br>> imagine loading 40
acres worth of wheat -- stalks, roots and all -- into<br>> the tank of
your car or SUV every 20 miles?" But he says that's how much<br>>
ancient plant matter had to be buried millions of years ago and<br>>
converted by pressure, heat and time into oil to produce one gallon
fossil fuel burned during just 1997<br>> totaled 97 million billion
pounds of carbon -- the equivalent of more<br>> than 400 times all the
plant matter that grows in the world during just<br>> one year. Asked
why he conducted the study, Dukes said "Fossil fuel<br>> consumption is
widely recognized as unsustainable. However, there has<br>> been no
attempt to calculate the amount of energy that was required to<br>>
generate fossil fuels." The study is to be published in the
2003 by United Press International. All rights reserved<br>> <br>>
message text UNSUBSCRIBE

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com