Re: was Master Gardeners/ Garden clubs

Ceres, both questions are easy, when you think about it.
LI = Long Island

Daytime MG classes:
The main function of MGs from the time the program originated is to
assist the Extension agent/Hort Educator in his job aiding the
community. The agent works daytime, for the most part. He usually
doesn't want to teach the program at night - and for what? Questions
from the community via telephone arrive during business hours.
Consequently they train during the day because they want volunteers who
are available during the day.

Every second or third year our Hort Ed teaches an evening class. It
makes sense for several reasons. If you wait to train someone until they
are 66 years old, you'll lose the opportunity of building that person's
experience over time. And retirees often move away. Train someone in
their 30s or 40s and you'll hopefully have a longer term investment.
This is not to say a 66 yr old MG intern isn't just as valuable to the
cause, but you have to keep the young blood coming for the organization
to survive.