Re: Perennial Sat

In a message dated 11/10/03 5:59:21 AM, mhobertm@excite.com writes:

<< I'm
beginning to suspect that if Ceres, you, and I (and Rich?) are actually
going to get together >>

I wish you all could have been there.  It was great!!  Armitage started with
'Legends in the Garden' which is a book of his.  He sat in a rocker and told
the tales of how plants got their names and how they were developed.  Such as
who is Nelly Moser or Annabelle?
Second on the agenda was Mary Meyer of the U Minn whom I have heard several
times.  Her studies, publications and talk was on Orn Grasses for the Upper
Midwest.  This also included how to incorporate them  into mixed borders.  Mary
is or was coordinator of the Minn MGs.  Gary Whittenbaugh, Oelwin, Iowa
(president of the regional Conifer soc) talked on Trough Gardening including how to
make, appropriate plants and soils and then did a demo of planting one which
was given away.  His troughs are just the best and always including a dwarf
conifer.  His enthusiasm is an element of its own.  After lunch Pananyoti
Kellaidis (Denver Botanic Gardens) spoke on Gardening on the Rocks.  Not something I
want to do but very interesting and of course these plants are wonderful to use
in the troughs.  I have heard Whittenbaugh speak of Pananyoti so frequently
and I now understand.  Sharon Barak of Heirloom Gardens, Van Meter, Iowa spoke
on Heirloom Flower Stories. I've known Sharon for many years. She is a
wonderful person, speaker and gardener but this was not the treat the others were.
Lastly, Alan spoke again and this was titled 'You Might as Well Buy the Good
Stuff' referring to new annuals (the wimpy guys) as well as perennials.  He is
just a hoot.  He insists true gardeners are crazy and ask if you have ever
stopped to listen to the talk.  He has a wife, 2 daughters & a son  all of which
are not into gardening.  The 2 girls are now married, have homes and want a
garden  but not the indulgence which has made him view gardening thru their eyes
which applies to a good share of the nongardeners.  His wife is the 'grounds
keeper' as she complains she cleans up the messes.
    He told the story of the guy who went to the dr and the dr said after
checking him, 'I am so sorry but you do not have a brain but we can help you'.
The dr took him to a closet where jars of brains were neatly arrgd on the
shelves.  Each jar was labeled such as 'lawyer brains $10', 'doctor brains $7' and
down on the end was a jar labeled 'gardener brains $15'.  The guy saw the
price of the gardener brains which was the most expensive and quickly said 'I want
the gardener brains'.  The doctors quick retort was 'Do you know how many
gardeners it took to get a jar full?'
    Quotes he used was 'you can see a lot by observing' and 'if you are at a
fork in the road, take it' by Yogi.  He conculded with 'It is not important
that you shoot yourself in the foot but rather how fast you can reload.'
    Next yrs event is again scheduled the 2nd Sat of November.