From:  [mailto: Cersgarden@aol.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:47:07 EST
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Perennial Sat

In a message dated 11/10/03 5:59:21 AM, mhobertm@excite.com
writes:<br><br><< I'm<br>beginning to suspect that if Ceres, you, and I
all could have been there. It was great!! Armitage started with
and told <br>the tales of how plants got their names and how they were
developed. Such as <br>who is Nelly Moser or Annabelle?<br>Second on the
agenda was Mary Meyer of the U Minn whom I have heard several <br>times.
Her studies, publications and talk was on Orn Grasses for the Upper
borders. Mary <br>is or was coordinator of the Minn MGs. Gary
Whittenbaugh, Oelwin, Iowa <br>(president of the regional Conifer soc)
talked on Trough Gardening including how to <br>make, appropriate plants
and soils and then did a demo of planting one which <br>was given away.
His troughs are just the best and always including a dwarf <br>conifer.
His enthusiasm is an element of its own. After lunch Pananyoti
Not something I <br>want to do but very interesting and of course these
plants are wonderful to use <br>in the troughs. I have heard
Whittenbaugh speak of Pananyoti so frequently <br>and I now understand.
Sharon Barak of Heirloom Gardens, Van Meter, Iowa spoke <br>on Heirloom
Flower Stories. I've known Sharon for many years. She is a <br>wonderful
person, speaker and gardener but this was not the treat the others were.
the Good <br>Stuff' referring to new annuals (the wimpy guys) as well as
perennials. He is <br>just a hoot. He insists true gardeners are crazy
and ask if you have ever <br>stopped to listen to the talk. He has a
wife, 2 daughters & a son all of which <br>are not into gardening. The 2
girls are now married, have homes and want a <br>garden but not the i

ndulgence which has made him view gardening thru their eyes <br>which
applies to a good share of the nongardeners. His wife is the 'grounds
story of the guy who went to the dr and the dr said after <br>checking
him, 'I am so sorry but you do not have a brain but we can help you'.
on the <br>shelves. Each jar was labeled such as 'lawyer brains $10',
'doctor brains $7' and <br>down on the end was a jar labeled 'gardener
brains $15'. The guy saw the <br>price of the gardener brains which was
the most expensive and quickly said 'I want <br>the gardener brains'.
The doctors quick retort was 'Do you know how many <br>gardeners it took
to get a jar full?'<br> Quotes he used was 'you can see a lot by
observing' and 'if you are at a <br>fork in the road, take it' by Yogi.
He conculded with 'It is not important <br>that you shoot yourself in
the foot but rather how fast you can reload.' <br> Next yrs event is
again scheduled the 2nd Sat of November.<br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com