Re: Re: Garden Watchdog

I'd agree that the dissatisfied and frustrated customer is much more
likely to post than the well satisfied who just get on with life.
When you are a frustrated customer, you want to tell the world:-)

Re: Greer's - I've ordered from them for over 20 years; good stuff -
no problems.  Harold Greer, the owner, is on the rhodo list I'm on
and we've chatted offline.  Extraordinarily knowledgeable guy;
opinionated, but I would be also with his experience:-)

CS is something that some are good at and some are not.  Roslyn
Nursery's owner has a bad rep. in that regard, yet I found him gruff
but pleasant to deal with over a DOA Tricyrtis this spring and he
sent me 2 lovely replacement children for the one that did not show
its nose above the pot soil.  CS is not what most small nursery
persons do - they grow and sell plants; some of them have to learn
that they need to treat their customers nicely for them to return.
And, there are always 2 sides to ever story.  I have heard tales of
customers who were so incredible that if I'd been the nursery person,
I'd have told them where they could go PDQ.  I have always gotten a
charge out of Tony Avent's handling of this in his catalog - for
those of you who don't get that one, he has a little section on how
to be a good customer that includes a bit about them only hiring nice
people and only wanting nice customers and if you are the other kind
they have a list of nurseries to send you to (very loosely

I think the comments on GWD as well as the mailorder nursery FAQ
nursery list are, or can be quite helpful.  Yes, you have to read the
posts and make a judgment about the person posting.  You can
generally tell if it is someone whose expectations were unreal to
begin with; not always, but most of the time.  What they do is let
you know when there is a potential for problems so you can place an
order if you want, but with your eyes open.  Rule #1 is always place
a small first order with any company to see what you get and how they
treat you.

And I agree, a comment from someone on a list you're on holds more
water than one from a complete stranger - that's one of the great
values to the garden lists online IMO.  That said, when the majority
of comments about a nursery (or any business) are negative, you need
to pay attention:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers