Re: Re: dragonwing

I think you're probably right, Kitty.  I have also found that really
good information about tender perennials sold as annuals in the US is
hard to find; they're just considered throw-away plants.  I've found
that most of them can be wintered over in my cool greenhouse, tho'.
Some don't like it as it's too cool for them but a great many make it
to live another year or more.  (Think I may have mentioned I have a
pale pink Impatien that's lived in my night blooming Cereus pot
(wintered in our 60F bedroom) for some 6 years - blooms all year).  I
was trying to find a more botany type site that might give some idea
of provenance and from that one could tell a bit more; didn't find:-(

I've been growing angle wings and rhizomatous begonias for about 30
years as houseplants that summer outside and winter inside - the same
plants (all are old).  I do NOT believe they will survive a
temperature of -20F - they won't even survive 20F.  They are
distinctly unhappy when temperatures dip toward 32F outside and I
have not gotten them in for winter - covered with Remay or not.  They
survive that because I do cover them and they are under a roof and I
leave the walk overhead lights on (which raises temperature just a
tiny bit and can make the difference.)  However, if your MG friend
wants those plants, I would certainly advise her to bring them in the
house for winter in your climate.  They are not hardy perennials:-)

Not only that, but angel wings need light or they will not be happy
campers.  Not direct sun, but good light.  That stone shed doesn't
exactly sound like it has any light, either.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Marge, Jim, and Daryl,
> Thanks for your help.  The reason, I believe, there is little to no
info on
> temp out there is because these plants are generally grown as
annuals.  Pan
> American, I'm sure, would prefer that you buy new ones every year.
But I'm