Re: Mail Order Nurseries

Well, Jim, as others have said; depends a lot on where you are and
what plants you're interested in.  I've ordered plants via mail for
30 years because I wanted something I couldn't otherwise get.  Yes,
if you can find what you want locally in a nice large pot, you're
ahead of the game, but even around here, where more and more is
becoming available, the really choice and rare stuff is only going to
be found via mail.

IMO we need to support our mailorder nurseries.  Many of them are the
last remnants of true nurseries where they propagate and grow the
plants they sell.  Most garden centers and large local nurseries
around here buy in their plants; don't grow a thing; never propagate
at all.  The people selling don't know much about plants, even the
ones they're selling.  The knowledge and years of hands on experience
in growing and propagating rare and difficult or unusual plants rest
with our *good* mailorder nurseries.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade